Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Wisdom Of Eternal Perspective

I visited the neighborhood where I grew up recently. Don't go very often. I was struck this time by how old the buildings look. I'm not talking about the buildings that were there when I grew up. I expect those to be old. The newer building are old. The buildings that used to be open spaces when I was a boy are old now. How many people remember what I remember?

I read recently that there may only be one person left who was alive in the 1800s. It makes sense. It is 2016 after all. Does that person every remember what it was like they were just a baby then.

Can we fathom eternal life? Eternal perspective.

"But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!" - 1 Kings 8:27 ESV

"The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens! Who is like the LORD our God, who is seated on high, who looks far down on the heavens and the earth?" - Psalm 113:4-6 ESV

"Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, 'Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,' even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you. For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb." - Psalm 139:7-13 ESV

"Am I a God at hand, declares the LORD, and not a God far away? Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the LORD. I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, 'I have dreamed, I have dreamed!' How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal?" - Jeremiah 23:23-27 ESV

Imagine us describing the world to God? Isn't it folly to disagree with Him? He sees it all. He was there when everything has happened.

"...declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,' " - Isaiah 46:10 ESV

Our God is a God who inhabits the past, present and future all at the same time. A lie must be the most horrible thing for him. He can't lie and nothing is hidden.

If He speaks I want to hear what He says. If He has a recommendation or a commentary a want to hear it and make it more important then my own thought on the matter.

He Is God and His methods are gracious.

I just want to worship Him. I understand why someone would want to use a person with this much knowledge. How can I even have such an agenda? He sees my heart. I am naked before Him. Worship is the right thing to do considering the fact that a person so lofty would function so kindly in our individual lives.

Imagine if I spoke to a boy living in my old neighborhood and said, 'I remember when that building was just a field. I used to run and play ball there.' and he said, 'You crazy old man. That building has always been there.'

God's perspective is eternal. It has value. If He is talking then I am listening. I can only imagine what He has seen. His words matter. They will last forever.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment