Monday, April 11, 2016

The Balance Of Abundance And Need

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble." - Philippians 4:11-14 ESV

I'm meditating on this passage today. I got here after reading some of my booklet and looking at verses quoted in the booklet but this passage is where I ended up. The booklet is about honor and this passage isn't quoted in the part that a was reading but some mornings are like that. What you study or read sparks something and brings you down a different path.

The writer is explaining the balance of hunger and contentment. He has learned how to endure the extremes of both because he always keeps a balance of both at all times. The flow is not hindered by a 'I have enough' or a 'I don't have enough' evaluation. Ability is given and there is a strengthening flow.

Bitterness and self-preservation are effectively removed from the equation.

If God adds people as companions it is a bonus. It is something to be grateful for. It is a grace gift and not a necessity or a prerequisite for joy.

As I think about these things I am refreshed with truth and my heart finds balance again. I am strengthened to live in gratefulness and longing. Stones of need can weigh down one side of the scale but as I am stirred up in gratefulness weights are added to the other side until both sides float in the air in balance.

I can do all things once God has rebalanced me. I see what I have been given as a grace gift when I am empowered again.

"...but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." - Isaiah 40:31 ESV

Yes. Because yesterday is not weighing us down and tomorrow is in God's hands. Today is a day of balance. Nothing is missing. We have all that we need to face the day. God is our strength. God has covered our past and His plan is our future. We can do all things.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment