Thursday, April 21, 2016

Cling To Simple Faith

"Timothy, my son, here are my instructions for you, based on the prophetic words spoken about you earlier. May they help you fight well in the Lord's battles. Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked." - 1 Timothy 1:18-19 NLT

We don't want to add what doesn't belong. It can put a wrench in our gears.

God has said things about us. He calls us sons and daughters. He names us as ministers of reconciliation. He commissions us as sowers of seed. He gives us currency to invest.

But if we stretch beyond the boundaries and violate our own 'good conscience' (useful estimations) we can end up in a place where we blame God and paint our belief system into a corner resulting in a dark night (or season) for our soul.

Depravity gives me a healthy distrust for my own spiritual decision making and calculations.

"...Let God be true though every one were a liar..." - Romans 3:4b ESV

If we stay simple and trust the scriptures in simplicity our ship can navigate the roughest seas. God has told us who He has made us to be by grace. That anchor will hold.

"... But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me." - 2 Timothy 1:12b ESV

--

No comments:

Post a Comment