Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Eternal Unchanging Favor

Have you ever 'lost favor' with a person or group? One day you are the toast of the town and the next no one wants to give you the time of day. I have. It's an interesting situation.

Here is a passage from the Psalms...

"When I remember God, then I am disturbed; When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint. Selah. You have held my eyelids open; I am so troubled that I cannot speak. I have considered the days of old,The years of long ago. I will remember my song in the night;I will meditate with my heart, And my spirit ponders: Will the Lord reject forever? And will He never be favorable again? Has His lovingkindness ceased forever? Has His promise come to an end forever? Has God forgotten to be gracious,Or has He in anger withdrawn His compassion? Selah. Then I said, 'It is my grief,That the right hand of the Most High has changed.' " - Psalm 77:3-10 NASB

The right hand of God represents His favor. It is the hand a dignitary raises to greet you and give permission for you to enter his presence. If the hand remains motionless then your audience is rejected.

People give favor because they see something special in a person. They take it away because they thought they were mistaken and are looking elsewhere.

The thing about God is that He is never mistaken. In our grief we think God is fickle like people are but that isn't true.

"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." - Colossians 3:2-4 ESV

God has given everlasting favor to His Son. We have favor by association.

"So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 10:32-33 ESV

That announcement is a one time thing. It doesn't fluctuate. The very first moment we believed in Christ and began to function by faith we also gained eternal favor. No one get gets crossed off God's list.

"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." - Luke 10:19-20 ESV

Our favor with people may fluctuate. Things may be good well for awhile and then they may not but none of that is permanent.

"Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." - Psalm 16:9-11 ESV

Jesus forever sits at God's right hand and those who believe are hidden in that place of eternal favor. That favor will be manifested in the world again and again.

Every time we acknowledge Jesus to men we are making the confession that brought us into the place of favor again. Jesus has completed the work of salvation and has reconciled men to God. God is satisfied and our heart can live in that satisfaction also.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment