Monday, January 26, 2015

We Know God Hears - We Know God Answers

"And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him." - 1 John 5:15 ESV

I am reading 1 John chapter 5 and seeing it with laser focus this morning. I have looked at this verse in many ways before but this morning I am looking at in context. Who is saying it and why? The Apostle John is saying this. This man was all about the people. This man was a soul winner. He was all about revealing what had been revealed to him and loving people like he has been loved. When he walked into a room the people were the artwork he admired. He spent his life asking for people and he stood and sat with people who had never asked God for anything and prayed salvation prayers and healing prayers with them.

Let's look at the verses that come before this one.

"If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life." - 1 John 5:9-13 ESV

When a man or woman who knows Jesus talks about Jesus there is voice behind that human voice and a written record beyond the human record that is speaking.

The Apostle John heard God's voice at the mount of transfiguration.

"He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, 'This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.' When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, 'Rise, and have no fear.' And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only." - Matthew 17:5-8 ESV

John spent the rest of his life obeying that instruction and when he spoke that message was at the core of all that he said.

'Hear Jesus.'

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life - to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death. We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life." - 1 John 5:14-20 ESV

John spoke to unbelievers and said, 'Will you pray with me? God will hear us.' Some were broken by the presence of God and stood trembling at the edge of the light and others I'm sure said, 'Sure. Why don't you pray to your God old man. I can use all the help I can get.' but they lived in sin that was 'unto death' because they would not mix faith with what they were hearing and resisted the Gospel message.

The prayer of a soul winner standing with a person wanting to receive God is always heard. No hurricane could keep it from God's throne. It goes up like incense goes from the holy place into the holy of holies. God smells a sweet smell when those prays come to Him. A pleasing smell.

It seems clear to me this morning that 'you have whatever you ask' is in the context of 'I write these things that you may know that you have eternal life.'

I highly doubt John owned very much in the way of personal possessions or asked for much according to that realm. He got whatever he asked for because he spent his life asking according to God's will. He lived as a soul winner. He lived as a minister of reconciliation. He lived as one who knew the person of truth and was hidden in Jesus Christ.

I have asked God for things and not gotten them. I have asked for outcomes that never came to pass. But when I am standing with a person asking for their soul to be saved I am sure I have what I am asking. When I am standing with someone who wants to be free inside and we come to God together I am sure that God's remedy has just at that moment begun to be administered.

It is Monday and we can spend the day many ways. I want these verses to sink in deep and change me. I want to live this way. The cares of this life can choke out this seed but let the words of 1 John fall on tilled soil that is ready to receive it.

If you are reading this I am praying for you... and I know God hears my prayers. {smile}

---

No comments:

Post a Comment