Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Captured By Grace

"For it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little. For by people of strange lips and with a foreign tongue the LORD will speak to this people, to whom he has said, 'This is rest; give rest to the weary; and this is repose'; yet they would not hear. And the word of the LORD will be to them precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little, that they may go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken." - Isaiah 28:10-13 ESV

We are all people of a strange tongue not just because most of us do not have have Hebrew as our first spoken language but because our thinking and speaking is so different from God's thinking and speaking. A translation needs more than a word for word translation. God must lay His thoughts line upon line upon us to build a understanding and structure.

The weight of His thinking often collapses my fallen structures. I break. I fall realizing a have a deceptive mind and I'm dealing with One who has no darkness in Him at all.

I want to be captured by the God of all Grace. It is good when I have not evaded the snare of truth that undoes me with it's simplicity and purity. God does not catch me to hurt me. He does it to heal me and give me gifts.

The lines of truth that are put down one at a time become something we take ownership of. He does not take our minds to evict us. He is building a dwelling place that we can live together inside of.

"Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet?" - Amos 3:3 ESV

As I think through subjects that a barely grasp and want to understand it is my desire that God would make a line of connection that bridges my understanding to that new subject. That can be a quick process or it can take a while. But, I look for the place of meeting instead of reasoning it all out in my mind alone. My reason must have worship or it is cold, useless and even deceptive.

How does my understanding reconcile to grace?

That is where a usually discover I am wrong or have wrong presuppositions. Grace breaks me and sets me free all at once. Thoughts have a new birth when grace is illuminated.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment