Friday, April 5, 2019

The Bible Says

What is the difference between 'the Bible says' and what some clever 'guru, professor, philosopher, scientist or clever person giving a TED talk says'? Is there a difference to you or me? What is different?

I must humble myself to receive what the Bible says but in order to even get to that place I must see something different.

"Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said, 'Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me; in burnt offerings and sin offerings you have taken no pleasure. Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God, as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.' " - Hebrews 10:5-7 ESV

The King James version phrases verse 7 this way...

"Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God." - Hebrews 10:7 KJV

Jesus compares His incarnation (the divine appearing to mankind as a human baby and walking and talking with people) with His entrance into a person's life through the Bible. They are similar. In some ways, Jesus seemed like just another man. But this man healed people and forgave the unforgivable. Being with Him was, and is, like being with the Father in Heaven.

The Bible seems like just another book. You can dissect it and rip pages out of it but if you spend time with it you will see something different... something divine.

It has answers. It has all the answers. It also has a powerful framework that people have and can use to shame, oppress and manipulate people with. Aren't people like the God they worship? It isn't unreasonable to think that.

I see young men and women drift away from the book and it makes me sad for them but I also understand. I was young once (long ago). {smile}

I know that if people are really looking that the God of the Bible will find them and that the words of this book will resonate in a way that no clever intellectual framework can.

Today, like every other day, is a day for humility. The Bible 'speaks' but am I listening? It would be a wise thing to do. The One who Is speaking cares for you and for me. The One who Is speaking is the same One who died on a tree and rose again.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment