Thursday, June 7, 2018

Resurrection Power

"But we know where this man comes from, and when the Christ appears, no one will know where he comes from." - John 7:27 ESV

I am keeping up with my 'Ariel's Harmony of the Gospels' (at p144) and the phrase above caught my attention. Where did this idea come from? Why did they think no one would know where Messiah came from?

His origins are in the scriptures.

"There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit." - Isaiah 11:1 ESV

"Their prince shall be one of themselves; their ruler shall come out from their midst; I will make him draw near, and he shall approach me, for who would dare of himself to approach me? declares the LORD." - Jeremiah 30:21 ESV

"But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days." - Micah 5:2 ESV

I think it arose from the expectation parents put on their children. It was sort of an urban legend. Parents must have said during the hard times of Roman occupation, 'Messiah is coming. He could come at any time.' but then this added element of surprise got added that he would be a stranger.

People assume a new thing must come from a new place but that isn't always how God works.

"And here he is, speaking openly, and they say nothing to him! Can it be that the authorities really know that this is the Christ? But we know where this man comes from, and when the Christ appears, no one will know where he comes from. So Jesus proclaimed, as he taught in the temple, 'You know me, and you know where I come from. But I have not come of my own accord. He who sent me is true, and him you do not know. I know him, for I come from him, and he sent me.' So they were seeking to arrest him, but no one laid a hand on him, because his hour had not yet come." - John 7:26-30 ESV

We have treasure hidden in us. I get 'new things' out of a very old book every morning. Mercy is new and fresh or it isn't mercy.

It is the mystery of resurrection power. Alignment with eternal truth has a life that can spring forth at unexpected times and from unexpected places.

I'm sure that when Jesus died people thought, 'I suppose we should look for something else.' but they were wrong. It was just a matter of time and Jesus was going to come alive again and bring power with Him.

If you are discouraged don't despair. God isn't done yet. You don't have to look somewhere else. We just need new eyes for the old landmarks.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment