Friday, January 12, 2018

The Wrath Of Man Worketh Not The Righteousness Of God

This morning I am remembering an incident I was involved in several years ago. I was newly ordained and one of my very good friends was being mistreated by another man. This friend was an older more experienced Pastor... a very kind and giving man. I was furious because this treatment was ongoing over several weeks.

One day I got fed up and when me and my Pastor friend were having coffee all my feelings came pouring out. I normally would never tell this person what to do because he was very wise in my eyes but this day I did. I implored him to retaliate or at least defend himself through the correct channels. Part of the abuse involved slander. I'll never forget the look he gave me. He put down his coffee and tears filled his eyes. With a broken voice, he said, 'Show me in the Bible where God says I can act that way. I have looked for a solution like that because I am weary of this but I can't find one. God called me to love people and that is all I can do.'

Wow. My fury dried up in a moment and I realized my long formed concepts of loyalty among friends needed to change. The stakes had gone up. I was now accountable to a higher person.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." - James 1:19-21 KJV

"From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, 'Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.' But he turned and said to Peter, 'Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.' Then Jesus told his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?' " - Matthew 16:21-26 ESV

I have to say that there are still times I feel like Peter.

My friend made it through that time. He didn't compromise his integrity. He is still serving and loving. Thank God he didn't take my advice.

The cross is God's solution for sinful, wicked and shortsighted man. The cross takes something. It interrupts. It is the gateway to burial and then resurrection and then session (sitting with Christ in Heavenly places). It will do it's work if we let it. It will work on us and on the ones we love. This cross isn't our suffering it is Christ's suffering but we get to fellowship with Him and it is a true honor. Painful but glorious at the same time. When emotions threaten to overwhelm we can go there and God will give us something special that can only be found in that difficult place. That is where Heaven meets Earth and transformation begins.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment