Thursday, August 31, 2017

Hospitality In Heaven And On Earth

This morning I'm thinking of the concept of 'sheltering people' in a crisis.

Every home has a different culture, doesn't it? Some people live very private lives. I picture the quiet couple that doesn't ever really entertain. They have a home that they live in but not many people ever see it. Then there is the family that has a home like grand central station... children... other peoples children... company that stays over... there is a closet filled with extra bedding.

Then the crisis comes. The flood, fire, war, repression or migration.

Which family opens their doors? Perhaps the decision is different for these different households.

"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." - John 14:1-3 ESV

As far as I know there were not many, if any, people in Heaven when Jesus said this. Heaven's doors were not open to people yet. Jesus is the One who would open those doors.

When people died they went to a place we call Abraham's bosom. Jesus speaks of it below and we think of it as an actual place because Jesus uses proper names. He didn't use names in parables.

"There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.' But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.'" - Luke 16:19-26 ESV

Jesus opens Heaven. He says that to Mary in the Garden after He is raised from the dead.

"Jesus said to her, 'Mary.' She turned and said to him in Aramaic, 'Rabboni!' (which means Teacher). Jesus said to her, 'Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' ' " - John 20:16-17 ESV

Jesus is preparing a place for us.

Does that excite you? It excites me.

I'm praying this morning for all the folks out there in the world who are preparing 'a place' for people because they have compassion in their hearts. The private ones and the ones who are used to feeding many mouths. Their hospitality is not unknown in Heaven. God does that also.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment