Wednesday, December 14, 2016

God Told Me?

'God told me what He Is going to do about _____.'

I've been thinking the last few days about that statement. Why do people say it? When do they say it? This passage came to mind...

"The LORD said, 'Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?...' " - Genesis 18:17-18 ESV

But we don't hear a voice or have a visitor come to our tent door and sit in our favorite chair and speak to us.

I find this next version in my life...

" 'I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.' They answered him, 'Abraham is our father.' Jesus said to them, 'If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did.' " - John 8:38-40 ESV

Jesus is talking to a group of relegious people who claim to have status with God because of Abraham but Jesus' claim is shocking.

" 'Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.' So the Jews said to him, 'You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?' Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.' So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple." - John 8:56-59 ESV

Jesus didn't say, 'God told me this or that.' or 'God wants me to _____.'

Jesus sees what the Father IS doing as a spectator outside of time.

What Jesus has already done is the key. That is what matters.

I have had strong impressions of God's direction. I have seen the weather and correctly predicted a storm. But I have never had God tell me exactly what He was going to do. Even Abraham didn't know that. God has given me promises from His book and then come through with those one-sided commitments. Abraham walked with a God who treated him like a friend. Abraham predicted what a Holy God would do if He investigated Sodom and Gomorrah so he pleaded with God for mercy.

God doesn't owe me knowledge of His actions any more than I owe you that. I'm not telling you everything I'm going to do today and God isn't telling me what He Is going to do.

I can follow Him and watch though... I can plead with Him for mercy for the people He Is going to survey...

Those wise men didn't talk to baby Jesus and get some great secret about their future to go home with. He likely smiled and made baby noises like other babies do.

If I want to see the future it is wise if I keep my eyes on the One who saw the Father's actions. I want to be led filled by the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead. I want to decide and go with a vision of integrity before my eyes and then be accountable for what I decided to do. I want to cast down every thought that would make God a scapegoat for my disappointment.

I don't know what the future holds but I know who holds my future and today that is enough for me.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment