Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A Steward Of The True Riches

Jesus is a wise manager of His Father's wealth. Grace is wise management. Mercy is a good investment. What is the result we are looking for?

"He also said to the disciples, "There was a rich man who had a manager, and charges were brought to him that this man was wasting his possessions. And he called him and said to him, 'What is this that I hear about you? Turn in the account of your management, for you can no longer be manager.' And the manager said to himself, 'What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. I have decided what to do, so that when I am removed from management, people may receive me into their houses.' So, summoning his master's debtors one by one, he said to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?' He said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' He said to him, 'Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.' Then he said to another, 'And how much do you owe?' He said, 'A hundred measures of wheat.' He said to him, 'Take your bill, and write eighty.' The master commended the dishonest manager for his shrewdness. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.

One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."" - Luke 16:1-13 ESV

The children of light sometime aren't very good with dealing with mammon. Mammon is more than just money. Mammon is the deal itself also. Mammon is leverage.

Sometimes believers in Christ are just not as shrewd as the ones who are in touch with what is happening in this age. The people of the age are looking for a material salvation. They think things and connections will save them so they hone the skills that they can hone to gain an advantage.

God wants us to be good managers at the same time He has praise for those who are generous with His resources.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever." - Psalm 23:4-6 ESV

God keeps pouring until our cup runs over.

What does that mean? Often times that does not mean that we have material prosperity. We become generous people who say, 'Maybe you do own 100 but Jesus paid your back bill so let's call it even.'

Our generosity has a purpose. It isn't naive. It is relationship building. We are not givers who just feed the hunger of several takers. We are givers of grace and mercy investors who cut deals so that eternal habitations can happen.

Today is another day to be a steward of the 'true riches.'

--

No comments:

Post a Comment