Monday, December 2, 2013

It Is Finished - Part 10

The cross exposes the natural man. Jesus finished that work also on the cross. He proved that independence apart from God not only makes men dangerous to themselves but dangerous to all things that are holy.

"'You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered, you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it.'

Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him.

But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. And he said, 'Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.'

But they cried out with a loud voice and stopped their ears and rushed together at him." Acts 7:51-57 ESV

People have wrongly used the cross as a weapon against the Jewish people to justify antisemitism. God used it as a tool to expose the the whole human race.

"For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot." Romans 8:6-7 ESV

The law exposed the results of the fall but the cross was the ultimate exposing act. Fallen man not only would murder God if he could... he did murder God when given the chance.

"So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him." Romans 8:12-17 ESV

We are reborn as heirs. We are no longer debtors. Now we are heirs. The Spirit bears witness to that fact.

"Then I said, 'Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.' " Psalms 40:7-8 ESV

The Spirit bears witness to our relationship but we will always need objective truth to guide us. Jesus came in the book but the book was in Him also.

"For our soul is bowed down to the dust: our belly cleaveth unto the earth." Psalms 44:25 KJV

You may have noticed that many born again people believe some very strange things. Lineage does not automatically create wisdom. We need objective truth that the Spirit gives a witness to and uses to teach us. The letter can be dead with out the Spirit but the Word of God made alive by the Spirit of God produces miraculous results.

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;

The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;

The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;

The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;

The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;

The judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward. Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults. Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalms 19:7-14 NKJV

The cross has taught me that I can not be trusted to function on my own. I still can not understand my own errors. I need light and the Bible serves that purpose.

"And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end." Luke 1:33 KJV

Jacob was a deceiver. God reigns over a household of deceivers. He has remade the whole human race as a potter remakes a broken pot. Humanity was condemned but God has remade a remnant for Himself.

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4 KJV

This Monday morning I need grace and truth and by God's grace I have both things. I have a bible in my hands that is being hidden line by line in my heart and I have a Savior. They seem separate but they are one. I will never outgrow either of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment