The phrase 'In Christ' is used 87 times in the new testament (ESV and NASB versions, 76 times in the KJV).
This morning I have been reading each occurrence of the phrase and the surrounding passages. It is so edifying.
Here are a few snippets of verses: (to find the context you must read the whole verse)
- faith in Christ
- the redemption that is in Christ
- dead to sin and alive to God in Christ
- eternal life in Christ
- free in Christ
- the love of God in Christ
- the truth in Christ
- we, though many, are one body in Christ
- fellow workers in Christ
- approved in Christ
- sanctified in Christ
- the grace of God that was given you in Christ
- you are in Christ
- you have countless guides in Christ... I became your father in Christ
- those also who have fallen asleep in Christ
- in Christ we have hope
- in Christ shall all be made alive
- God who establishes us with you in Christ
- thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession
- in the sight of God we speak in Christ
- if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation
- in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself
- we have been speaking in Christ, and all for your upbuilding, beloved
- freedom that we have in Christ Jesus
- a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ
- in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith
- you are all one in Christ
- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places
- making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ
- we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory
- so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ
- we are his workmanship, created in Christ
- But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ
- partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel
- this was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ
- to Him be glory in the church and in Christ
- so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ
- have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ
- glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh
- i press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus
- And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus
- my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus
There is so much more... those are just some snippets up into Philippians.
It is so easy to gloss over this little phrase or see it in some religious framework... like saying amen when we agree or 'in Jesus name' after every prayer but this phrase has deep meaning. It is a secret in a way... that we were placed in Christ when we believed in Christ... that is where God sees us and can only see us that way... also... somewhere in Him is all we ever wanted or hoped for... Peace is found in Him. Purpose is found in Him. All the missing puzzle pieces... the place to stand where the light is just right and where the big picture and single circumstance can be clearly surveyed is in Him. Standing and looking from anywhere else will only give a partial, obstructed or distorted view of life and circumstances.
Faith 'In Christ' is our first trembling step into a new life. He becomes our new address and identity.
In Him time becomes territory to be taken. Today is territory to be taken.