Thursday, August 12, 2021

Finding Jesus In Revelations

"The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near." - Revelation 1:1-3 ESV

I have studied this book before. I read some of it days after I became a Christian and had nightmares about it. It has been decades since then. I have taken classes focused on this book... heard sermons... preached messages focused on passages.

Still. Today as I read the first few verses they seem fresh to me.

This book can seem like a puzzle. Names. Events. References to other parts of the Bible. Mysteries. 

The other day I got before God and said something like, 'I want to come at this book like I know 'nothing as I ought to' and have you teach me.' then I started to just look for Jesus in each chapter. What was God saying? What is His attitude? What was His tone? I skipped the names and events and just looked for Him.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."" - Revelation 1:1-8 ESV

"When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last," - Revelation 1:1-17 ESV

"'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary." - Revelation 2:2-3 ESV

"And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, "Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created."" - Revelation 4:9-11 ESV

"...saying, "Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads."" - Revelation 7:3 ESV

There is more, so much more, but Who do you see reading this? I see someone who cares deeply and knows people. He sees, observes and rewards. Those who experience Him can't say enough about Him. He is sensitive to pain and suffering. He times things and doesn't rush.

This is MY Jesus. I am His and He has become mine. 

The events are important... sure they are... but Jesus is revealed here and those things blur in the backround as He comes into focus for me.

This book scared me but now I want to eat it like candy.

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star." The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen." - Revelation 22:16-21 ESV

Come quickly Lord! Thank you for this book. It is a great gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment