Friday, November 15, 2019

The Need For Fresh Wisdom

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." - James 1:5-8 ESV

- No one is disqualified from getting wisdom from God because of a pre-existing condition
- God gives generously
- God won't 'reproach' those who ask. He won't taunt, revile or 'make fun' of anyone. Shame should not prevent anyone from asking
- The doubter disqualifies themselves
- Doubt creates instability that resembles a ship tossed in a storm
- Doubt is functioning in an identity that is split into two opposing 'minds'
- The doubter must not 'suppose' (an interesting word that means think but it is a verb in the middle voice so the person is also the recipient of the action of the verb) that they will receive anything from the Lord. I think the word 'suppose' is key to understanding this passage properly
- Asking 'in faith' is a key component. No one is disqualified but not everyone gets wisdom. Asking with a particular mindset is needed

The author is inspired by God and He is telling us something here. He is giving us the ability to problem-solve with God.

This is a great passage to talk to God about. We can't be in that 'in faith' pocket apart from that dynamic.

I lack wisdom. My day is far from cut and dry. I love that I can come agenda-free to God and say, 'I want to collaborate with you.' and He is available to that. The disciples didn't 'suppose they would receive anything' from Jesus and when they did He gently rebuked them. He was for them but His actions were not centered around them. He was seeking to save and redeem what was lost. I want that wisdom today. I want to be free from arguing with myself about myself and worrying that a won't have what I need if things don't turn out a certain way.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment