Tuesday, July 10, 2018

His Logos

"So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, 'If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.' " - John 8:31-32 ESV

That is such an interesting phrase 'abide in my word'. Jesus stakes a claim on the words. This isn't Rhema which would be a living illumination. This is Logos (Strongs G3056) and it means words on paper or spoken. Jesus' ideas (word orders that Jesus makes a claim to) will result in freedom if a person 'abides' or 'tarries' in them.

Not my words.

Not your words.

Not a wise person with persuasive ideas and many degrees.

Not common sense.

Jesus' logos sets people free and makes them free progressively over time.

We can tend to add and take away and come to conclusions that may or may not be true and it only results in a loss of freedom.

Can I put 'theology' on hold and just listen? That 'study of God' becomes a framework and it can't be totally put away but can I listen to 'His words' like I could learn something?

"If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, he is known by God." - 1 Corinthians 8:2-3 ESV

"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever..." - Deuteronomy 29:29a ESV

--

No comments:

Post a Comment