Saturday, June 13, 2015

Blind Spots And Side Mirrors

A lot of thoughts this morning. I thought I'd share some I had about blind spots. We all have them. Some we are aware of and others we really are oblivious to. Even if we have gotten glimpse at times we forget or repress their existence.

In cars we have mirrors that are there to show us what we can't see. Relationships can serve as mirrors also.

"O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy! If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?" - Psalm 130:2-3 ESV

Some folks see a great importance to marking iniquity (emotional rebellion or reaction) but God is not like that. He sees that we are blind in ways and reactionary at times because of our blindness but He does not criticize us... not even constructively.

He sees and  knows where He Is going and invites us to come with Him. He becomes our eyes. Isn't it great to have a guide that knows where they are going! Isn't it wonderful to have a partner that knows. These relationships become side view mirrors for us that give us an awareness of what we can't see without rubbing our faces in it that we are a bit blind in that area.

I have a wonderful wife that has become my eyes. I see things I could not see before because of her kindness, love and patience. She lives her life in an illuminating way. I have had leaders that illuminate me with their vision. I have friends that show me things about myself just by being who they are. I have learned so much from my sister. She is so courageous and beautiful. Her life dares me not to quit because she never does.

There are many reasons we can't see things... natural limitations, ignorance or emotional blockage that blot out areas of thought. Grace oriented relationships are an amazing provision for us until we can see and then beyond that because we are in safety during a vulnerable time. A gracious person isn't going to judge us because we can't see what they see. They accept us just as we are.

Isolation will make us a victim of our own limitations. Judgement will cause us to hide or pretend. Grace will cause us to grow and see what we could never see on our own.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." - 1 Corinthians 13:12-13 ESV

--

No comments:

Post a Comment