Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Work Of The Lord And Our Labors Of Love

Let the finished work of Christ overflow in your life.

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." - 1 Corinthians 15:57-58 ESV

The Greek word there for abounding is Perisseuo (Strong's G4052) and it speaks of an overflow. It isn't an overflow of what we have done in some kind of Christian service. It is the overflow of what Christ has done. Jesus' victory has an overflow.

The phrase 'the work of the Lord' uses the word Ergon (G2041) and this is the work of a business. A business is there to make a profit. That is why it exists. Jesus' victory is a profitable one. It has an overflowing pay out.

The 'labor' spoken of that is not in vain uses Kopos (G2873) and this speaks of an emotionally involved labor that is the result of trouble of some kind. It isn't profitable. It is hoping to minimize loss. It is the labor of stacking up sand bang so that an area won't be flooded or of driving all night to be with someone in trouble and help them.

I love that the person who Is laboring must remain steadfast and immovable. They won't leave the spot where Jesus died, was buried and rose again. They live and have power because He Is risen and seated at the right hand of His Father.

Oh, That helps me put things in perspective. I can worship God because the victory has already been won! I have lists of things to do this week that need to be done but I am not doing them to gain something. I have a victory that overflows that I can be steadfast in. I go to work so that I can put gas in my car so that I can drive all night and stack sand bags. I labor so that I can be in front of people to tell them about Jesus to recover something that could be lost.

We can start the day thanking God and then refuse to let trouble move us away from that thankful state of mind. If we begin to stray we can return. That is the place of power and overflow. We are victorious ones when we won't be moved from Christ's victory.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment