Tuesday, June 3, 2014

How We Discover Our Humanity

"And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." - Philippians 2:8 ESV

The discovery of His humanity caused Jesus to enter into humility. This is a divine mindset. He poured Himself into God's plan.

"And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, 'Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.' " - Revelation 12:10-11 ESV

Accusations seek for us to find our humanity some other way.

"And the woman said to the serpent, 'We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.' '

But the serpent said to the woman, 'You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.' " - Genesis 3:2-5 ESV

Accusation leaves people critical of their plight as humans. It points to what we don't seem to have but humility points not only to what we do have (a positive mental attitude)... it points to what Christ has done.

Accusations are looking for entrance to our hearts. A shield of faith keeps them out. A heart covered by a breast plate of Christ's gift of righteousness keeps them out. A helmet made of a salvation that is already complete keeps them out.

I discover my humanity and make a decision about it... I am not God... I am a man... It is so good to not have that huge divine responsibility... I am a man so I won't love my life in a covetous way... grace gives me so much that I don't need to take any fruit that will provide something I am missing... I don't need to hear what is happening with so and so... I am not looking for information to feed a hunger...

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence," - 2 Peter 1:3 ESV

We boast in the blood of the lamb. Our testimony is grace. Our love is not for our own lives but for God's life in a plan that includes Christ's cross.

"Neither give place to the devil." - Ephesians 4:27 KJV

King James is the best translation for this verse. The Greek word used is Topos (Strong's G5117) and it is a marked off place like a garden or a bookmark. I don't want to leave places of bitterness or marked off areas of my life where I will discover my humanity apart from humility.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment