Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Living In The Flow

This morning I choose life.

"My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word!... Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways... Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!... This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life... In your steadfast love give me life, that I may keep the testimonies of your mouth... I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life... I am severely afflicted; give me life, O LORD, according to your word!... Hear my voice according to your steadfast love; O LORD, according to your justice give me life... Plead my cause and redeem me; give me life according to your promise!... Great is your mercy, O LORD; give me life according to your rules... Consider how I love your precepts! Give me life according to your steadfast love." - Psalms 119:25, 37, 40, 50, 88, 93, 107, 149, 154, 156, 159 ESV

Life is much like the rain. We are watered hold that water for a time but then the water is given to the next part of the system. In dryness we need to be watered again.

"For my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water." - Jeremiah 2:13 ESV

We have source and we have an ability to hold that water (for a time) available to us. This water is living water... fresh uncontaminated water.

"Moab has been at ease from his youth and has settled on his dregs; he has not been emptied from vessel to vessel, nor has he gone into exile; so his taste remains in him, and his scent is not changed. Therefore, behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I shall send to him pourers who will pour him, and empty his vessels and break his jars in pieces." - Jeremiah 48:11-12 ESV

If we keep what has been given then it will settle within us and grow stagnant and fermented. It is not the freshly crushed grape. It ferments into wine and progresses until it is only vinegar.

Grace has a cycle and that cycle has a freshness to it. We get what we do not deserve and instead of possessing it and keeping it we give it away again trusting in the supply of the gracious one.

To keep what we have been given beyond it's expiration point is a hoarders mentality. Fear can say, 'I may never have this again so I must hold on to it.' but we become cluttered beyond useful expression and kill the thing we are struggling to keep.

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." - Acts 20:35b ESV

Yes. When we go to the source and get fresh water we can give that still fresh water away again and function in a flow. It is a flow of blessing. It is a river of grace.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment