Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Ears They Didn't Have

I tell you a mystery.

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you." - John 16:12-15 ESV

Jesus declares that He Is going away. He Is going to go to His Father and the disciples are sad. He declares that His death will be good because He Is going to send a mysterious some one but they are grieved and in that state they can't hear what He going to say with clarity.

None of these men and women are thinking of writing books at this point. They were ex-fishermen and ex-tax collectors and ex-prostitutes. After Pentecost, they would become something else.

I sometimes look at chains of events in people's lives and think, 'Could anyone have warned them off of what was coming? Would they have listened?'

Then I turn to God knowing I can be and probably am just as blind. There are things I just don't want to hear.

"Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein." - Hebrews 13:9 KJV

Grace gives us what belongs to Christ. The Spirit of Grace Is going to glorify Christ and draw us into that mix. Jesus said, 'I'm leaving.' and it vexed them even though it had to happen that way. The Spirit never says that to us. He says, 'I am staying with you for the rest of your natural life and beyond.'

"... for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' " - Hebrews 13:5b ESV

"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption." - Ephesians 4:30 ESV

Jesus couldn't tell them certain things because even though they knew who He was they couldn't fathom what that meant. Jesus could die and be raised. Jesus could go and return forever. No one else Is like Him. When the Holy Spirit Is present Christ Is fully present also and not in a way that people would like to think of other people being present after death.

"Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, 'Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.' " - Revelation 1:12-18 ESV

No one can take what belongs to God by force and in separation but He gives to those who believe freely. He sent His Spirit to minister.

This security has given us ears we didn't have. It wears down our stubbornness. It overwhelms our distrust. This voice never condemns. This voice gives and gives.

"If anyone has an ear, let him hear:" - Revelation 13:9 ESV

Yes. God wants to say things to us but we can't hear them until we are secure in His love.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment