Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Living Faith

James is such an interesting book. This writer uses language differently than the other new testament writers.

In the following passage James is basically saying, 'Kindness is King.'

"For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and filled,' without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." - James 2:13-17 ESV

People turn this into a theological treatise about salvation but it is much more about human relationships and personal testimony. God is merciful. That is very true but are we?

I see mean merciless people quote scripture and I wonder, 'What Jesus are they talking about? Not my Jesus. Not The Jesus.'

Jesus fed people and died for the sins of the world.

When James says, 'works' he isn't saying it like anyone else in the new testament. Elsewhere it is spoken of as 'actions to please God' but James speaks of works as 'actions that affect other people.'

Jesus physically fed people and trained His disciples to do the same but then right before He went to the cross He said this...

"And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.' And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." - Luke 22:19-20 ESV

He loved us until it killed Him. His love feeds us and clothes us. It connects us to God and that connection also provides 1,000 other provisions for every need in life.

I look at Jesus and my faith comes alive. Without Him I am a selfish rascal. I might talk a good talk but it is only because of Him that I have any kind of walk.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment