Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Planting Surprises

When I was younger I used to purposely leave money in my coat and blue jean pockets so that I could find it later. Maybe it was $10 or if a was doing well I left a $20 dollar bill. It was because I found money in a pocket before and it really blessed me so I decided I could 'surprise myself.'

When we heard the Gospel we gained knowledge of a past event that had potential impact on our present and future experience. It was like a wrapped gift or an unopened letter.

The conversation at Church I have been speaking about most of this week was about sobriety but we didn't mention alcohol. It was more about what we think we will be like as old men because of how we are living now. We talked about our 'wallet table'... the place where we put the things we need in our pocket as we go out the door.

We live in a debit card age and I don't plant $20 bills anymore. It's still a great idea but I'm not in that mode anymore. I put ziplock baggies filled with Gospel tracts in my coats and I keep a stack (that keeps spilling over) on my wallet table so I remember to take them as I go out the door. They are little gifts I can hand out at a moments notice.

I refilled and arranged that table and my coat stash just this weekend. After a friend talked about how he found himself without tracts on a recent trip.

The Gospel is like a pleasant surprise God plants in a person's future... more really because it is life-saving... future saving... transforming. I want to be able to reach into my pocket and find it to give to someone at just the right moment.

If I live in this sober way now then that is the kind of old man I will be. I plan (if I am given the time) to be that old man who extends a shaking hand with a tract in it to strangely dressed young people. If I live that way now then I am more likely to live that way later.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:16-18 KJV

What a glorious gift. Thank you God.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment