Friday, May 1, 2015

In A Name

"But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, 'Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.' " - Matthew 1:20-21 ESV

The Bible has many names for God. Vishnu is not in the Bible nor is Buddha. Zeus is not the God of the Bible by another name. There are great lists you can find of God naming Himself in the scriptures. His names speak of His attributes.

This naming strikes me this morning. The angel told Joseph what to name the child. Call Him Savior. This Jesus would be revealed to be the anointed Christ and titles would be attributed to Him later. Savior needed to be His first name.

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star." - Revelation 22:16 ESV

" 'I am the Alpha and the Omega,' says the Lord God, 'who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.' " - Revelation 1:8 ESV

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6 ESV

At first we are told the name we should give to Him. Name Him 'Savior.' He Is not a curse word to be said when we hit our thumb with a hammer. He Is not just a historical figure. He may have once been that to us. The messenger comes and tells us who He Is and asks us to name Him as our Messiah.

Many won't name Him that.

"I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all." - Ephesians 1:16-23 ESV

Jesus' name has grown in my estimation over the years. To me He Is many things. He holds many titles. I have things because of Him. I have lost things also. He Is a matchmaker and a friend giver. He Is my tour guide to crazy places I never would have gone. He Is my banker. He lifts me up when I fall down. He Is the friend I can fool around with and talk to when no one else would understand. He is an activist who shares His causes with me and convinces me that my life can spent in better ways.

As time goes on He will have more names because I will discover more about Him. But, I won't be finding out anything that the Bible hasn't already told me. He Is who He has been and will be.

My Savior is also royalty.

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." - Luke 12:32-34 ESV

Jesus said this to Israelis living under Roman occupation but the words speak to me now today. Where Is my treasure? I guess it depends on the name I bestow on this one mysterious person.

Who Is He? I find my own name when I find His.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment