Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ask the Host

Have you ever stayed over at a friend's house and after setting up a sleeping space for you they say, "Do you need anything? Well, If you need anything else like an extra pillow or blanket just let me know." Here is a verse.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?" Matt 7:7-9

I think more and more that my asking is linked to God's hospitality and not my desire. Am I a stranger asking for something or is there a relationship? I don't give money to every person that asks me on the street. I would give a friend my money if he or she needed it if I could. Perhaps they would not ever ask.

The son is hungry and he gets the thing needed. It doesn't say, "If your son asks for a Corvette which among you would give him a Chevy?" A hungry son doesn't need a car. But, A host might loan his guest a car when he stays there if that is what is needed and they have one to loan.

God is the owner of everything so his resources are as boundless as the cattle that graze on every patch of grass anywhere. He is also incredibly generous. If we are traveling with Him on a journey it is right to ask for what is needed on that trip. The verse says He won't slap away our hand. Don't go hungry in independence and stubbornness. Your host wouldn't want that.

Are you hungry for direction or encouragement? Ask and venture on the road amongst God's people. There are loaves of just this kind being blessed, broken and multiplied there.

No comments:

Post a Comment